Historic Village


  In the mid 1800's Coarsegold was known
as "Coarse-Gold Gulch" after the coarse
nuggets the miners found in the nearby
streams. Over one and a half million
dollars have been mined from the
creeks in this area.

  The Texas Flat Gold Mine is the best
known and was the most extensively
worked mine in the Coarsegold vicinity.
Two Texas brothers started the mine
when they found a single nugget worth
$15,000.00 about a mile west. By 1850,
10,000 people lived in the fields and
hills behind downtown Coarsegold.
Besides Texas Flat, there were 18 other
recorded mines in this district. Today,
locals and tourists still dig up the
occasional nugget in Coarsegold Creek
less than 75 feet from the Village
Parking area.

  The well house, built in 1852 is on
display in the Village courtyard. It
served as a major watering hole for
weary & dusty travelers on stagecoach
and horseback. It sat in the center of
Highway 41 for years. The grape vine
arbor, next to the well house has the
oldest and largest vines in the State Of
California. These grapes came from
cuttings from a Southern California
Mission in 1862. The granite benches
came from the Raymond Quarry and
were a part of the Old Inns garden area.
The well house today...

  This is the site of the former Coarsegold
Inn, a World Famous Restaurant, Saloon,
Hotel and Theatre. First built in 1880, the
Inn burned to the ground three times,
every 30 years or so. The last fire was
August 9, 1989. Some of the finest
musicians in the U.S. have performed on
the Inn's stage. It may someday rise

  Alfonso's Hideaway Operates in the 'Old
Inn's' bathhouse and our two story
building next door is known as the "
Hoot Gibson Card Room". It was also an
annex to one of the early Inns'. Offering
special accommodations with the ice
and meat storage rooms below. The
Thrift Store building, next to the grape
arbor was a dinning room for the old Inn,
and before that one of the old
Coarsegold Post Offices. It was opened
in 1885 as Coarse-Gold Gulch. It was
changed in 1885 to Gold Gulch and in
1895 to its present name. The three
remaining cabins were built around 1939
and served as guest cabins with rates at
$2.50 for a single and $3.00 for doubles.
The rock walls were built in the early

  The Chukchansi and Picyunne Indians
still reside in Coarsegold. They are best
known for their intricate basket
weaving, with the older ones valued at
up to $5,000.00. This was their land long
before the rest of us arrived and their
heritage and culture continues to enrich
us all.

  The history of Coarsegold encompasses
all of the traditional folklore of the Old
West; Gold, Timber, Cattle, Ranches,
Cowboys and Indian Tribes. Since the
road to Yosemite ( Highway 41 ) was
completed in 1876, the oncoming rush of
travelers from all over the world has
done little to change this quiet area. For
144 years, Coarsegold has been known
as a peaceful place to stop and rest
while looking for gold.

Website related issues please contact admin@coarsegoldca.net